Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This just in!

I was browsing around the official forums (something I would rather not do, but none of my favorite bloggers have any new content) and I found a really well-written post on the Healing forums, so I thought I'd share it. The OP calls healing the most difficult role in the game. I'd be inclined to agree. DPS often gets the glory of the kill ("Wow! I topped over 3.5k DPS!"). Sometimes it's the tank, but people hardly ever actually thank the healers, in my experience. I've gotten a "Good heals" every now and then, but no one has ever told me "Thanks, Myss, there's no way we could have done that without you." Healing is a pretty thankless job.

I pride myself in being able to look at health bars and know in a split second what would be the perfect heal to use, and in Wrath this got even harder. Before 3.0, the goal of priest healing was to use some rank of greater heal so that you would get the healee as close to full without actually going over, because those were wasted heals. Now, the goal is to heal them to full and over as little as possible. These goals may seem very similar; however, the difference is that when people are taking damage, their health is constantly going down (duh). This makes the pre-3.0 goal much easier (i.e. it was okay for you to heal when you knew it had a chance of overhealing, because odds were their health would fall below that level by the time the heal was actually cast). Post-3.0 you have to practically heal your target expecting around 1k health overheal or more in order to be as efficient as possible with your mana. It's mind-numbing. Not to mention that healing as a discipline spec is completely different.

So, I would like to take a moment to /applaud that poster and thank him/her for catching the eye of the devs. I don't think it actually did much good, but we'll see in the coming months...

No comments: